Thursday, September 24, 2009

Spinach Artichoke Dip

Last night I came to the realization that:
  1. the spinach I bought a week ago was about to go bad
  2. there was a can of artichoke hearts deep into the cupboard that I had forgotten about
  3. the yogurt I bought some time ago is also going bad
  4. I have an immense amount of cheese
First I started out steaming the spinach, thinking I'd just steam it so it would keep for however long, and the "almost bad" flavor would hide behind garlic, onion and potentially soy sauce or whatnot. Then I remembered the artichoke hearts and thought: hey! I'll just make a dip. So here goes.

Ingredients:
  • half a bag of spinach or as much as you like
  • 1 can of artichoke hearts
  • yogurt, sour cream or cream
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • oil
  • cheese (I used mostly Muenster and Parmesan, cheddar might be good too but didn't suit my palate in this case)
  • optional: tabasco, garlic or garlic powder
Directions:
  1. Fry the onions in oil on medium heat
  2. Add the spinach, and stir until soft
  3. Add the can of artichoke hearts (I used half of the "juice", if you prefer water, add some water)
  4. Let the artichoke hearts and the spinach cook together for a while, making a "thicker" mixture by letting the water or "juice" evaporate
  5. Once it's relatively thick, add yogurt or other liquid dairy, and cook
  6. Add cheese (in chunks, it will melt) and stir
  7. Add optional spices/seasoning!
  8. Let cook to a thick, dip-like substance
If you want this to be a less chunky dip, you can always combine all the ingredients in a food processor before hand and then cook them that way.

Submitted by vefehrm

No comments:

Post a Comment