Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Sometimes we just mess up. And then we correct it.

the other day I wanted to make a chocolate-y, delicious, fudge chocolate cake. There was a recipe on the back of the Stop and Shop All Purpose Flour for a "Quick and easy fudge cake". Unfortunately, we had almost none of the ingredients. Especially no sugar, milk, nor butter to use.
I frantically found different kinds of sugary things:
  • imitation maple syrup
  • Swiss Miss, honey
  • tonic water (don't ask...)
...and proceeded to add these things into the mixture. And for milk and butter, I kind of just substituted a little bit of oil, some peanut butter, cream, greek yogurt... etc. At last minute I added some roasted peanuts (salty ones - MISTAKE AGAIN), and sweetened coconut flakes.

What happened? It came out as chocolate bread. Not only had I added a billion different things, but it was not nearly sweet enough. Luckily I had some whipped cream to sweeten the deal. It was really disappointing.

Now, yesterday I was kind of upset by this and so I decided that I needed to make something out of this untouched chocolate bread cake thing. Oh, I guess I should add that I went and got some sugar yesterday. *Drum Roll*

Chocolate bread pudding:
  1. Grease a pan, put the oven on 350.
  2. Put some of the bread in the pan
  3. Mix a mixture of cream, butter, SUGAR, vanilla, eggs, cinnamon, coconut and whatnot.
  4. Pour mixture over the bread.
  5. Put some more bread on top.
  6. Mix eggs, coconut, some cream, and sugar together.
  7. Pour over the top layer. Sprinkle with a mixture of water and sugar to get a nice sugary crust.
  8. Put in the oven until golden brown on top.
It worked! Yes! Sweetness accomplished.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Vendi. I'm sorry I didn't witness this. I'm actually impressed it came out edible.

    ReplyDelete